Stuffed Pepper Soup
Stuffed Pepper Soup
Do you ever get in that mood where all that sounds good is comfort food? A few weeks back I was sitting in my freezing apartment just wanting something warm. For those of you with wheat or corn allergies, you know that “safe” soups are hard to come by. But that was all I was craving. I had everything out to make my stuffed peppers but then I decided to change it up. With a little scavenging and texting my roommate to bring home some broth from the store, I decided I was going to make my own soup from scratch!
My problem…I don’t write recipes down the first time! So I naturally had to have it again to remind myself what all I did. And let me tell you… It’s better the second time! I hope you all have some soup cravings in the future and can let me know your thoughts on this creation! The heartiness of the ingredients combined with the rich flavors and bright colors make it a show stopping combination.
As always, feel free to leave out the ground turkey to make this an easy vegetarian recipe!
Cook Time: 20 minutes (let simmer as long as desired)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1 pkg ground turkey
- 3 large peppers – your choice on colors
- 1/2 cup red onions
- 2 cups rice
- 1.5 – 32 oz chicken broth
- 1 – 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 – 15 oz can of tomato sauce (Italian seasoning)
- 1 – 15 oz can of black beans
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp (2 cloves) minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Thaw your ground turkey in the fridge the night before or during the day that you plan to cook!
- In a large pan, brown your ground turkey.
- While your meat is browning, dice up your onions, and peppers! Make sure you discard of all of the seeds from the inside of the peppers.
- If you’re game to multitask – Also cook your rice so that all of your prep will finish around the same time.
- Once all of your food is prepped, you’ll want to start adding it to your soup kettle! But – there’s a good order!
- In the bottom of your kettle, sauté your peppers and onions with your minced garlic, and a hint of olive oil.
- Once the peppers soften and your onions start to turn clear add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, ground turkey and your spices. This should be a fairly thick mixture!
- Next, you will add your chicken broth! I said a package and a half of the 32 oz chicken broth, I initially did one in mine and wished I had more as my rice absorbed it all. Play it by ear!
- Lastly – add your rice and let your soup simmer until you’re ready to serve.
- *Feel free to always add more or less on the spice side so that the recipe is catered to your taste buds!
If you enjoyed this recipe and want more like it, or have some feedback, feel free to leave a comment below! I would love to hear from my viewers. Also, don’t forget to share your favorite recipe if you wish, or to check out my Twitter account and Instagram accounts below.
→ Instagram: cookinwithallergies
→ Twitter: cookn4allergies